Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Have more questions? Scroll through our list of Frequently Asked Questions or click one of the links below to skip to the area you would like to know more about. If you still have questions, please contact Moody Central at (312) 329-2020 or



Other Services

Health Forms / Services

Student Groups / Opportunities

Computer Recommendations


How much storage is available on campus?

There is a limited amount of available storage space which is shared by all of the students on the floor. Students are allowed to leave things in storage over breaks, but must remove all personal belongings when they leave Moody.

What can we use to hang things on the walls?

Sticky tack or poster putty is the only adhesive that can be used to hang items. Any damage to the walls (paint chips, etc.) will be the students’ financial responsibility when they move out.

What should I bring?

Clothes for every kind of weather: Chicago has a wide range of temperatures, from 90˚F in the summer to -15˚F in the winter. We recommend that you shop for your clothes before coming to Moody because shops within walking distance of the campus tend to be expensive.

Also bring:

  • Linens
  • Blankets
  • Pillows
  • Towels
  • Soap
  • Shampoo
  • Other toiletries
  • Laundry detergent
  • Laundry basket or bag
  • Hangers for closet
  • 15-amp circuit breaker surge protectors with 14-3 cord for all plug-ins that can protect computers (marked UL1449, UL1449-A, or UL1449-I on the box)
  • 3-prong extension cords that have 12 to 14 gauge wires
  • Flash drive 

Other items students usually bring:

  • Stereos
  • Personal refrigerators (up to 3.2 cubic feet)
  • Cameras
  • Personal computers or laptops
  • Coffee makers
  • Cellphones
  • Curling iron, straightener, or hair dryer
  • Electric razors
  • Humidifier
  • Thin plastic containers for storage
  • Closet shoe organizer
  • Fan
  • Bicycle
  • Area rug
  • Curtains and curtain rods

What is not allowed in my room?

  • Halogen lamps
  • Upholstered Furniture
  • No couches, futons, overstuffed chairs, bean bags, chairs with cushions or padding, etc
  • Television or computer monitor bigger than 27 inches
  • Microwave
  • Toaster oven
  • Candles
  • Candle warmers
  • Pets – fish are the only pets allowed in the Residence Halls

If you have any questions, please contact the Residence Life Department at (312) 329-4189.

What size containers fit under the bed?

There is enough space to put a thin storage unit (43” x 19.5” x 6.7”) under the bed.

What items would you recommend we bring for the community bathrooms?

We recommend students bring a shower caddy to tote items to and from the showers, a robe, and flip flops.

What size bed sheets should students bring?

Students should bring Extra Long twin bed sheets.

If I’m assigned to a room on Smith 6 or 7, what do I need to bring?

Students living on Smith floors 6 and 7 are responsible to bring their own kitchen utensils and cooking items.

What furniture is provided in my Residence Hall Room?
Culbertson Hall - bed, wardrobe, desk, desk chair, hutch/ bookshelf

Houghton Hall – bed, closet, desk, desk chair, dresser, hutch/bookshelf

Smith Hall – bed, closet, desk, desk chair, dresser, hutch/bookshelf

Can students stay on campus over break periods (Spring, Summer, Winter)?

When the residence halls close during the winter, spring, and summer breaks, all students are asked to vacate the residence halls unless they fill out a request to stay (Recess Residency Request or RRR form) with Culbertson or Houghton desks for an additional cost. This does not apply to married students living in Smith Hall.

Requests to stay on campus during breaks are approved for the following reasons:

  1. A non US Resident or a US Resident whose parents live overseas
  2. Taking a Moody academic course during break
  3. Working a minimum of 15 hours on or off campus
  4. Participating in a student group trip led by Moody staff or faculty member who has coordinated recess housing with the Residence Life office.

(Return to top)


What is the best way to get around Chicago?

Most students choose to walk, ride a bike or take the train (CTA). All bicycles must be registered with the Public Safety Office. There is no charge for a Bicycle permit. Students must provide their own bicycle lock. Secure parking is available for bicycles at no charge.

The Chicago Transit Authority U-Pass is your ticket to unlimited rides aboard CTA buses and trains. Use your Ventra U-Pass on the CTA bus/rail systems anytime, anywhere. The pass replaces cash for all CTA fares; no cash is needed. It’s your connection to shopping, sports events, social activities, art, and entertainment centers in the Chicago area. You receive unlimited rides aboard the CTA for $185 per semester. The cost of the program will be placed on your school bill each semester. Only full-time (12 credit hours) residential students are automatically enrolled. Part-time students can opt-in to the program. The Ventra U-Pass is not accepted on the Metra or Pace lines. U-Pass questions? Email

Am I allowed to have a car on campus?

Parking spaces for students who live on-campus are limited. Students who are sophomore level or above (i.e., have completed at least 30 credits) are permitted to purchase a parking permit for one vehicle. Freshmen who live in the residence halls are not allowed to have a vehicle on campus. Students with health conditions or impairments who require a reasonable accommodation should contact the Public Safety Office at, or 312-329-4358 to discuss an exception to this policy.

All vehicles parked on campus are required to have a parking permit. There is a charge per semester for on-campus and commuter students to obtain a permit. All vehicles must be registered with the Public Safety Office, located in the basement of Crowell Hall. Students will be emailed before the beginning of the semester with instructions for purchasing a parking permit. You may contact the Public Safety Office at, or 312-329-4358. The Public Safety Office is open Mon. through Friday from 8:00 a.m.–4:00 p.m (Central Time, closes at 3:30 on Fridays). 

(Return to top)

Other Services

Are there counseling services available?

The Counseling Services staff offers individual counseling and a variety of support groups each semester. The initial assessment is free of charge with subsequent sessions costing $5 per session. Students will not be denied service if  unable to make payments. To make an appointment with one of the counselors or to obtain further information about these services, please call (312) 329-4354 or email

Disability Services

If you have previously had school accommodations for a disability or have been diagnosed with a disability and believe you should have accommodations, please click this link for the Disability Services page, which also includes contact information.

Is there tutoring available?

The Moody Student Resource Center, located on the third floor of Smith Hall, offers academic services including Peer Tutors for specific courses, general writing help and time management. All Moody students are eligible for two hours of free Peer Tutoring per course, per week. For further information, please click this link for the Student Resource Center Academic Assistance page.

How do I receive mail?

You will receive a Campus Post Office (CPO) box number during new student orientation. This box and number will be used to communicate with you whether you live on or off campus. Your CPO number will have to appear on all incoming mail for proper delivery. Your family and friends can write to you at:

                     Your Name
CPO #xxxx
P.O. Box 10060
Chicago IL 60610 

Items sent via private carriers like UPS or FedEx should be addressed:

                      Your Name
CPO #xxxx
820 N. LaSalle Blvd.
Chicago IL 60610

(Return to top)

Health Forms / Services

What health care is available on campus?

Moody Health Service, located on the second floor of Smith Hall, is staffed with an Administrator, Office Coordinator, and Registered Nurses. This department exists to provide care for student illness and injuries.

All students and their spouses are welcome to see the nurse at no charge. A campus physician is available twice a week to see students for a nominal fee.

Am I allowed to submit my information on forms other than those provided?

No, we will only accept documentation on our provided Health Forms.

Please send completed Health Forms to:

                     820 N. LaSalle Blvd. 
Attn: Health Service Department Smith 2
Chicago, Ill 60610

Fax: 312.329.4419

Should I wait until all my forms are completed to submit each form?

No, please submit your forms as they are completed. Please keep a copy of each form for your records.

What are the requirements for Tetanus/Diphtheria vaccinations?

Your Tetanus/Diphtheria-Pertussis booster must be less than 10 years old. The booster is required. All students must document a minimum of 3 Tetanus/Diphtheria doses with at least one dose given less than 10 years ago.

Is a tuberculosis screening required?

Yes. Students have two options for completing the screening: a skin test and a blood test. All students must have a screening done less than one year before the start of classes. Students who do the blood test must provide a copy of the lab report with your health forms. Students who have received the BCG vaccine must take the blood test.

International students and students traveling overseas must receive the screening two weeks after arriving back in the United States. If those two weeks happen after the health form due date, please turn in the rest of your health forms by the due date and include a note stating when you will be able to do the screening. If needed, students can complete the screening on campus for a fee.

If you have a history of a positive TB Skin Test, you must provide documentation of the positive TB Skin Test, and show proof of completing treatment for latent tuberculosis.

I am required to take regular injections (insulin, etc.). What are the requirements for disposing of needles?

Any student who takes any injections in their room must come to Health Service immediately upon arrival to campus to arrange for proper disposal of syringes/needles. Please care for this as soon as you arrive if you are a diabetic or take any injectable medications, (such as for migraine headaches) or use “sharps” for any reason (checking your blood sugar). These items cannot be disposed of in normal trash containers

(Return to top)

Student Groups / Opportunities

What student organizations are available?

Student life at Moody includes much more than merely academic course work and ministry training opportunities. Moody offers a wide range of exciting ways for students to get involved on campus and in the community.

Moody student organizations exist to edify and mature our student body, honing students’ gifts and broadening their knowledge of the world. Each of Moody’s 40 student organizations has a specific focus and also helps to give students an opportunity to learn about issues such as leadership, cross-cultural understanding, mentoring, outreach, media and personal wellness. For descriptions of the student groups on campus, visit

The Office of Student Programs advises student organizations and councils in the areas of leadership, budgeting, planning and the facilitation of campus-wide events. For more information, please contact

Married & Family Ministry

The purpose of this ministry is to shepherd and care for married couples by creating programs which foster authentic community on campus.

What music lessons and ensembles are available?

Moody offers group and private lessons in most instruments, including voice, organ, piano, guitar and orchestral instruments. The cost for lessons is an additional course fee. Contact for more information or to register. Moody also has a variety of touring music ensembles, including the Moody Chorale, Gospel Choir, Worship Collectives, Campus Orchestra, and One O’ Clock Jazz Band. Membership is open to all students, regardless of major. Sign up during move-in day for an audition.  For more information, visit

What varsity athletic opportunities are available?

Moody sponsors four varsity sports. If you are interested in participating in college athletics, the Moody coaches would like to connect with you (contact information below). More information can be found at

(Return to top)

Computer Recommendations

If I bring my own computer, what are Moody's recommendations?

Computers are available on campus, but many students choose to bring their own laptops. If you plan to bring a computer, the following minimum setup is recommended:

  • Operating System
    • Windows 7 or higher
    • Mac OS 10.11 (El Capitan) or higher
    • Linux - chromeOS
  • Hardware
    • 4 GB of RAM or more
    • Dual band wireless adapter (wireless internet access is available campus-wide)
  • Software
    • Office 2013 or higher (all students have free access to Office 365 while enrolled at Moody)
  • Printers
    • Computer labs with printers are available across campus, including one lab in each Residence Hall. Printing is $0.05 per side for black and white, $0.25 for color. Funds can be added to your printing account at
    • Students may also bring personal printers (at this time we are unable to support wireless printing to personal printers).

    (Return to top)